Spring Classes Start 3/30/2019 APPLY NOW!
No Fees & Payment Options Available! Call for more information.
Weekend Dental Assistant School
is a proud supporter of the
Dental Assistant Job Requirements
Learn What It Takes To Be A Dental Assistant
Becoming a dental assistant is a great choice for those looking to make a difference in people’s lives while ensuring patients can enjoy smiling. With the job growth rate on the rise, a dental assistant is a great career option. Becoming a dental assistant, like any occupation, has certain requirements. And while all are necessary for success, owning specific key traits will ensure you excel as a dental assistant. Continue reading to learn the ins and outs of a dental assistant’s job requirements.
The role of a dental assistant may vary by state and from office to office.
Typical Dental Assistant Job Duties:
- Work with patients, making them comfortable and getting the prepped to see the dental hygienist and/or dentist
- Sterilize equipment and instruments
- Prep the work area for both cleanings and dental procedures
- Assist dentists with the necessary tools during procedures
- Keep patient’s mouth dry during procedures
- Help inform patients of proper dental hygiene regimens
- Schedule appointments and handle/assist with billing inquiries
- Process x-ray images under the direction of the dentist
Under individual state laws, dental assistant may have the ability to perform certain applications like:
- Coronal polishing
- Topical anesthetics
Essential Traits of a Successful Dental Assistant:
- Communication skills – with any occupation, exceptional communication skills are important in being successful. Whether it’s communicating with patients or with coworkers, dental assistants have various roles to play. Being informative along with taking direction from the dentist in a receptive manner is essential.
- Organized – being organized is a leading trait dental assistants must possess. Not only do great organizational skills warrant efficiency and cleanliness, it assures a patient’s physical well-being with accurate and up-to-date charts.
- Friendly – a dental assistant is part of the face that makes up a dental office. Dental assistants may be the first (or last) person a patient sees at the dentist office. Often times, the dental assistant is the person a patient spends the most time with. A friendly dental assistant will increase a patient’s comfort level helping to ensure a return visit. Friendliness is what builds patient relations and the core to building an ongoing rapport. Providing patients with a positive dental experience is the key to being a successful dental assistant.
- Professionalism – being a professional dental assistant will keep the business at a level of excellence needed to stay above the competition. Professionalism ranges from the way you carry yourself to your skillset and knowledge of the industry. Attending Weekend Dental Assistant School will ensure your level of professionalism is above and beyond where it needs to be.
- Teamwork – working with a team and having the ability to do it seamlessly is a leading requirement for dental assistants. From working with the dentists and hygienists to assisting patients, the end goal should be the patient’s well-being and in doing so will require working together.
- Multi tasker - whether it’s taking instructions from the dentist while working with a patient or responding to a patient’s needs while maintaining their safety, multi-tasking is a large part of a dental assistant’s daily responsibilities.
If any or all of these requirements speak to you, a dental assistant occupation may be right for you. Weekend Dental Assistant School is here to help make your dreams come true. Learn more about our school curriculum and apply to our dental program in just 3 minutes!